FSSAI registration is a mandatory compliance used to ensure the safety of food products and it is essentially a food safety certificate issued by the food authority in India. This governing body, also known as Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) marks businesses compliant with the regulations of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. FSSAI license is mandatory before starting any food business. All the manufacturers, traders, restaurants who are involved in food business must obtain a 14-digit registration or a license number which must be printed on food packages.
This step is taken by government’s food licensing & registration system to ensure that food products undergo certain quality checks, thereby reducing the instances of adulteration, substandard products and improve accountability of manufacturers by issuing food service license.
With expert assistance from Tax Fusion get an FSSAI license in the quickest possible way in only 4 simple steps -
- Guidance on selecting the food license types
- Verification of your FSSAI registration documents
- Filing your online FSSAI application
- Procurement of FSSAI food licence
Documents required for FSSAI Registration Process:
- Basic License:
- - An identity proof that contains a photograph
- - A passport sized photograph
- - Mobile No. & Email Id
- The latest utility Bill(Electricity/Water Bill)
- Copy of Rent Agreement(if Rented property)
- Copy of Owned Paper(if owned property)
- Food Category.
- State & central license
- Proof of address
- Import/export code
- A passport sized photograph
- A list of directors or partners
- A certificate of incorporation
- The MoA and AoA of the business
- An identity proof that contains a photograph
- No Objection Certificate from the local municipality
For manufacturing units, besides the above-listed documents, the following are also required:
- - The blueprint of warehouse, plant, etc.
- A list of all machinery
- Report of a water test
- List of all food categories
Eligibility of FSSAI License
The following persons or entities are eligible to getting FSSAI License or Registration.
- All types of Food Manufacturer.
- Food Packaging Unit or Storage Unit.
- Wholesale or Trading or Online Food Business Operator.
- Caters, Hotel or Raw Material Supplier.
- Exporter and Importer of Food Products.
- Transporter and Distributors.
- Retailers of Food Product
FSSAI license types in India
FSSAI mandates that a company can have one of three types of licences.
- The basic license: This is the primary kind of food license and it is issued for:
- Businesses that are small in turnover – 12 Lakh INR approximately
- FBO that is at the budding stage like a dairy with a capacity of less than 500 ltr/day.
- Trades like tea shops, canteens, food processors and small warehouses ideally require this licence. It can be upgraded when the business begins to expand in capacity and profit.
- The State Licence: Companies that have a profit greater than 12 lakhs and less than 20 Crores INR require the state license.Some examples are:
- Dairies with a capacity of over 50,000 litres/day
- Hotels with a 3-star rating and above
An exception here is the catering business. Irrespective of their turnover, they have to apply for a state license and not a basic license.
- The Central License: The above to licences were for small and mid-sized trades. The central registration is for bigger businesses. It is issued to:
- Companies that supply food to governments offices and departments.
- Trades that have a turnover of over Rs. 20 Crores.
- Food import and export commerce
Non-compliance with FSSAI regulations
Non-compliance with the FSSAI regulations can prove to be costly with a severe penalty and may cause damage to your brand reputation.
Food inspections will be conducted by Food Safety Officers and compliance levels will be granted for the food business. Compliance will be graded as below -
- Partial Compliance
- Not Applicable/ Not Observed (NA)
In accordance with the above markings, the Food Safety Officer might issue an improvement notice. The officer might also cancel the license if the standards are not maintained even after warnings.